The Governing Council of Accra Technical University announces that the post of Director of Finance of the University is currently vacant and the Council is seeking to identify and recruit a suitably qualified person.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Accra Technical University is located in the central business district of Accra, the Capital City of Ghana. The University was converted from a Polytechnic to a Technical University in September 2016 by an Act of Parliament establishing Technical Universities in Ghana. The University has been mandated by the Technical Universities Act 2016 (Act 922), to provide higher education in engineering, science and technology-based disciplines, technical and vocational education and training, applied arts and related disciplines.
The University has a staff of about 700 made up of faculty, senior administrative officers and other supporting staff and a student population of about 15,000 made up of full and part time students offering various academic and professional programmes. The Vision of the University is to be a Technical University of global excellence in competency-based and practice-oriented training, applied research and technology transfer.
- The Director of Finance shall be responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the Financial Administration of the University.
- The Director of Finance shall be responsible for the implementation of policies relating to accounting and financial controls in the University.
- The Director of Finance shall be responsible for corporate planning with respect to budgeting and budgetary controls and a long term or strategic planning with regard to all the finances of the University.
- The Director of Finance shall be the liaison officer between the Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) in respect of financial matters affecting the University.
- The Director of Finance shall be responsible for the preparation and consolidation of final accounts and commenting on management reports for external auditors.
- The Director of Finance shall also be responsible for the preparation of the annual operating budget of the University and shall present the same through the Vice-Chancellor to Council for approval. He shall also submit quarterly reports to the Governing Council on the status of plans and projections necessary for the preparation of budgets for succeeding years.
- The Director of Finance shall be responsible for ensuring, on behalf of Council, that proper records are kept of all University property, assets, stocks and valuables of all funds in a register.
- The Director of Finance shall also be responsible for and receive moneys due the University and make authorized payments on behalf of the University.
- The Director of Finance shall ensure every facility of the University is made accessible to both internal and external auditors in the performance of their functions.
- The Director of Finance shall be responsible for Treasury Management of the University.
- The Director of Finance shall exercise oversight responsibility for the accounting functions of other self-accounting and income-generating units of the University.
- The Director of Finance shall advise on or raise funds and other resources for the University.
- The Director of Finance shall be required to perform any other function assigned by the Vice-Chancellor of the University.
Terms of Appointment
- The Director of Finances shall hold office for an initial term of four (4) years. The appointment may be renewed, upon application for a further term of up to four (4) years only if that is not beyond the statutory retirement age of sixty (60) years.
- The terms and conditions of the appointment shall be determined by the Governing Council of the University consistent with the Technical Universities Act 2016 (Act 922) and Statutes of Accra Technical University.
- The salary and Conditions of Service attached to this position are very attractive and are comparable to those in analogous universities in Ghana.
- Must be a servant leader and be capable to plan, organize, implement, and administratively manage all activities related to the Finance Directorate.
- Must be able to provide sound advice to the Vice-Chancellor on all financial matters affecting the University.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Universitiesâ financial policies, procedures, controls and processes and best accounting and finance practice.
- Must have worked or have experience with a Universityâs accounting and finance software and records management in a manner that is consistent with the Universityâs mission and objectives.
- Must have wide experience in treasury management preferably in a University environment.
- Must have extensive experience in compliance with finance, accounting and tax regulations preferably in a University environment.
- Must be able to translate financial concepts and effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with students, staff and external agencies.
- Must be able to provide clear, practical and accurate advice to staff at all levels in the Finance Directorate on financial procedures and requirements.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Must be a Chartered Accountant and hold a Masterâs degree in the relevant field.
- Must have at least twelve (12) years post-professional accountancy working experience in a tertiary institution, industry or any relevant public service or corporate organization.
- Must have served as a Deputy Director of Finance in a University or comparable grade in a similar institution/organization for at least six (6) years.
How to Apply for the Job
- Candidates are to submit a sealed application letter and completed Application forms obtained from the Registry of the University or download and print a copy from the Universityâs website at www.atu.edu.gh.
- Applicants are to attach Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to the qualities of the applicant.
- Applicants are to include a short statement of not more than four pages (Times New Roman size 12 and 1.5 line spacing) outlining their vision and strategies for implementation.
- Applications must be hand delivered in a sealed envelope to the Registry of the University and signed for or submitted using a registered electronic mail to reach the address below (as applicable) not later than 20th December, 2018.
Search Committee for Director of Finance
c/o Office of the Registrar
Accra Technical University
P. O. Box 561
Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted