OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR
The Registrar is the administrator in charge of maintaining official student records and class enrollment. Performing the dual role of a Chief Administrative Officer and Secretary to the University’s Council, the Registrar is the receiver of all the University’s correspondences. Hierarchically, the Office of the Registrar sits under the Vice-Chancellor and oversees the day-to-day administration and management of the University.
Roles of the Registrar
- Overall Administrative Officer
- Acts as secretary to Council as well as the secretary to the various committees of the University Council.
- Chief Operating Officer
- Works under the Vice-Chancellor
- Take custody of the seal and affix it to documents in accordance with the directions given by the Council;
- Take custody of all legal documents and records of Accra Technical University.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Vice-Chancellor and other enactments.
Responsibilities of the Registrar
The Registrar coordinates and supervises the university’s administrative machinery, specifically in matters relating to the following:
- General administration
- Staff recruitment, placement, and separation;
- Staff welfare;
- Legal and statutory issues; and
- Academic Affairs;
- University relations; etc.
The Registrar is supported by a variety of administrators and professional staffs (Deputy Registrars and Senior Assistant Registrars) who hold the various departments of the office and service committees and the boards of the university.
- Academic Affairs Directorate (AAD)
- Quality Assurance & Academic Planning Directorate
- Finance Directorate
- Internal Audit Directorate
- Directorate for Research, Innovation, Publication and Technology Transfer
- Guidance, Counseling & Career Development Directorate
- Human Resource & Organisational Development Directorate (HRODD)
- Directorate of Works & Physical Development
- General Services Directorate
- Directorate of Legal Affairs
- Information and Communication Technology Directorate
- Directorate of Procurement
- Directorate of Public Affairs (DPA)
- Industrial Liaison Directorate
- Directorate of Business Development
- Health Services Department
- Stores Department
- Sports and Recreation Department
About the Registrar
Having served as the Registrar of Takoradi Technical University from 2012 to 2019, Mrs. Sylvia Oppong Mensah is a seasoned professional with over 15 years of experience in higher education administration. She is adept at coordinating and facilitating the seamless functioning of administrative structures.
She is a PhD student with a Master of Public Administration degree from the University of Ghana, Legon and a Bachelor of Religious Studies and Classics degree, and a Diploma in Education certificate from the University of Cape Coast. She obtained her Ordinary and Advanced Level certificates at Holy Child School, Cape Coast.
She is a member of the Institute of Directors, Ghana. Her passion for women rights advocacy has seen her spearhead several influential women-interest programmes that have yielded positive outcomes. She is a Christian – a Presbyterian and a member of the Western Region Bible Society of Ghana.